Monday, December 12, 2011

Sirach

Lived through my 4 mile run today and did it with the awful time of 44.3. That's an 11 minute mile, but nothing to get excited about. I can't for the life of me figure out my dang Garmin and I've had it for 2 years. It should transfer all my run info to my computer when I'm done with the run and close to the computer. The last time it transferred was on December 2nd and I know I've run more than that. So I rest from running tomorrow, but go to my spiritual exercise class, which will ware me out in a totally different way!


Speaking of which, I had to do some reading from the book of Sirach, which is in the Apocrypha. We were looking to see what our duties were towards God, what we are expected to do as followers of Christ. I was blown away by what I read and I want to share some of it with you.
My child, when you come to serve the 
Lord,
prepare your self for testing.
Set your heart right and be steadfast,
and do not be impetuous in time of
calamity.
Cling to him and do not depart,
so that your last days may be
prosperous.
Accept whatever befalls you,
and in times of humiliation be patient.
For gold is tested in the fire,
and those found acceptable, in the
furnace of humiliation.
Trust in him, and he will help you;
make your ways straight, and hope in 
him.
~Sirach 2:1-6

Is that not something?! It's like "get ready, cuz it's a comen!" When you think about how the fire cleans up gold, you can't help but think about how hot that gets. This just spoke to me on so many levels and it offers hope! 


So get ready, set your heart and cling to Jesus.  

No comments: