Monday, November 21, 2011

Wait with Patience?

Do you wait with patience? Do you hate that question as much as I do? Why do you think it's so hard to wait anyway? When we're young we can't wait for Christmas, summer, our birthday or ice cream! When we're older, we can't wait for nap time, snack time, dinner time and bed time. Yet as we get older, time starts to pass faster and we find ourselves saying, "Wait for me!!" So how well do you wait and are you patience or do you fidget your way through it?


Here's a thought, how are you at waiting on God? We should be waiting with patience, but is that a passive waiting? I don't think so, if it was we would never get anything done. Waiting on God isn't like waiting on a bus, the rain to stop or bed time. It's being active to the fullest of our ability in order to see where God is. We should live every moment in active anticipation of finding God in our waiting.


Do you know that our word patience comes from the Latin verb patior which means "to suffer". Does that mean that waiting patiently is to suffer through the present moment? To taste each moment to it's fullest, to stand and watch as a plant grows? This is a little gross, but the Christians that had to go to the lion's den, they had to wait to be eaten. That would have made me crazy, but I'm sure I would have been the one to run in a circle and scream at the top of my lungs, "Lion!!!!" Enough to confuse the lions and maybe even make them sick as they watched me run in a circle. 


Think about it, to wait with patience as God shows himself and his plan to you. If we aren't waiting and watching in an active state, then we miss God all together huh? That, my friends, is what I am learning now-a-days! Along with all the sin stuff from the spiritual exercise, this is one of the hardest things ever. I also think the more we know, the more God calls us to know. He calls us and then we wait. We think we see him moving and doing only to wait some more. It's almost like playing chess...you plan, think, count out your moves, then get blocked right as the 'check make' is one move away. 


I am not very good at waiting with patience, however, I am better than I use to be! Sometimes, I think God is fine with this slow progress, because it's progress and it's waiting on Him. I would much rather yell out "Wait for me!" than get a head of God and try to climb out of that pickle barrel.      

No comments: