Sunday, October 20, 2013

Had to Happen!

This time of year is always a challenge for the miser in me! We have had the A/C off for a while now, mainly cuz $400 electric bills are out of our price range. Also because there is something almost magical about the smell of the air this time of year. When I was growing up in the delta of Mississippi county, this time of year had the faint smell of cotton defoliant to it along with the fresh smell of dirt. I love the way dirt smells!

This time that comes before the first freeze, before you close all the windows and crank on the heat, this is a special time of cooking things on the stove so you can have a blast of heat. It's about moving to the front porch to sit because the sun has moved to that side of the house and the wind is blocked a little more than it is out back.

It's about taking really hot showers, with the heater light on and the vent off, so the warmth will get out into the house. 

I have been closing the windows, slowly, one by one as the temperature drops a little more every evening. It hit me last night, that I had better bring in the house plants if I wanted to keep them. This always includes Preacher man, that's because with my green thumb, we have two plants that are bigger than me!

So, the windows are now all closed.

It is 40 degrees this morning and while that is still too warm for a frost, I had to turn the heat on to chase the chill out of here. Don't judge me! 

I'm feeling a little defeated because of this lack of toughness in me.

It's here. There is no way to stop it from happening so don't even try. With the World series right around the corner, fall is in the air!  


No comments: