Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Awareness

I'm finding it hard to get this started for some reason. It's not that I have a lack of things to write about it, it's just figuring out what I want to open up to. 

At times, our life moves at worp speed. I mean so much is going on that if you aren't in contact with us daily, you are behind. We walk around singing Deep and Wide and we add in Fast! 

Then there are the times when life is like a slow float down the river. Moving at a speed that allows us to take in the sights and sounds. The trick for me is to bring the speed down so I can really see what's happening in the deep and wide.

I found these five questions from Mary Oliver help me to be aware of God in my life.

1. What do I notice?
2. What do I hear?
3. What is most wonderful?
4. What is most tender?
5. What astonishes me?

For me, anytime is a good time to ask these questions. I have found that doing them once a day, say at the end of the day before bed time, isn't the best time, as much as it is the default time. You know, Oh I forgot to be intentional about my questions at some point today, so I'll be aware of them now. My issue with this is; we focus on one thing as wonderful when there could have been 16. Tenderness could have surrounded us in so many different ways but we just didn't notice.

So here's my suggestion or maybe I should say confession: At the top of each hour, answer the 5 questions. If you do this for a while, you'll start doing it without even really having to think about it. The next thing you know, BAM! you'll be giving glory to God, cuz you're noticing God in your life.

Give it a try, what do you have to loose? Give me a holler if you want to talk about it.  
    

No comments: