Monday, January 7, 2013

Working out & Letting go!

Once upon a time, a longer time ago than I really thought, I was in shape! I remember going to the Deep In at seminary, the sun hadn't even thought about getting up, and working out for at least an hour. Today, after about a 30 minute walk with Preacher man and Gracie, I got the "30 Day Shred" out of the box, popped it in the machine and within 20 minutes flat was, so close to death that I thought I was going to have to lay on the floor all day! Dang Jullian Michaels! 

Have you ever thought about how tired we get just from carrying our stuff around? I got to thinking about it this morning before I had my near death experience. I'm pretty amazed that we have downed sized and gotten to the point where we carry more than ever before. 

When I was growing up we had tapes, aka, cassette tapes. We had these huge boxes that we kept them in and the boxes took up at least one persons seat in the car. Our music was and is important to us, hence we carry it with us. Now, it all fits in a smart phone, which also fits in the back pocket of a pair of jeans!

I ran across this story and want to share it with you:
  
Two traveling monks reached a river where they met an attractive young woman waiting to cross. Wary of the current, she asked if they would be willing to carry her. One of the monks hesitated, but the other promptly picked her up into his arms, transported her across the river, and put her down, safely on the other bank. She thanked him and went on her way.

As the monks walked toward the monastery, one brooded, stewing in the toxic elixir of self-righteousness and envy. After an hour, unable to hold his silence, he spoke. "Brother, our spiritual training teaches us to avoid any contact with women, but you picked her up in your arms, held her very close and carried her!"

"Brother," the second monk replied, "That is all true. But on the other side of the river I set her down. It sounds to me as if you are still carrying her."


Here's my question: Are you being owned or possessed by the things you carry? Or are you able to lay them down and walk away? Do others help you remember that you need to pick things up that you have laid down? 

In a way, it's like carrying all those tapes around when we have a smart phone that holds more than the box ever could! When we lay things down, we are freed up to grab a hold of a new freedom. So I guess the question is, do you want to carry your burden or grab for freedom?

A prayer for you is that you determine in your heart and mind to go into 2013 free and determined to take steps towards walking in the footsteps that only you were designed to walk in.
Free up your hands so that you may waive them in victory over something that has been binding you up in the past.
Free up your heart so that you may love and receive love the way you desire.
Free up your mind so that you are clear about the direction your life is taking.
Free up your time so that when opportunity comes, you are ready to walk in it.
Free up the limitations you have imposed on yourself and walk boldly towards your heart's desires. ~ Terry Hershey

No comments: