Monday, April 30, 2012

Holding on!

It's time to listen to your life. At least it's time for me to start listening to my life. I do a pretty good job of this most times, but reminders are always something I welcome. I think we all need reminders, in fact it could be one of the things we should be doing for each other more often. 


Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is. In the boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace. ~ Frederick Buechner 


Preacher man and I served this past weekend as part of the team for a walk to Emmaus. 72 hours of grace. It sucks you dry to work on the team, but it's a good dry, cuz it's what Christ is calling us to do for each other. Show them the grace. That was what Jesus kept telling me all weekend long! I could have kept it all locked inside of me and hoarded it in a way that would be healthy for me, but how many lives do we really think we have anyway? And what in the world am I saving it for?


All of us have things inside and outside of us that we're saving for that right time. After we arrive and have it all together, that house, that car, that relationship, those bills paid off and that weight lost! It's like people who have huge wine cellars, and keep adding to it, but never using what they have. Then they die without having enjoyed any of it.


I have this uncontrollable joy inside of me that comes straight from the grace I receive from Christ! It allows me to be who God made me to be. Authentic and real. People see how I act, which by the way isn't an act, it's who I really am, and they start thinking, why can't I be like that? 


So that is my challenge to you today, look at your life and start using it. Use it in way's that bring you joy. Don't be afraid to take an inventory. Don't be afraid to sit at home in your house coat all day and be who God is calling you to be. Maybe the only way to keep what we have is to use it. How else are we going to enjoy the blessings we receive? Allow yourself the freedom to live for the pure sake of living, it's all grace, it's all a gift and you can't take one part of it with you!


Live your life for that 5 minutes of pure excitement. Open that bottle of wine! Learn to ride a motorcycle at 50, share what you have with others, even if it's a smile! I just don't want to live my life as a vegetable, well, maybe a Mr. Potato head, but not a cabbage.      


Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? ~ Mary Oliver.

No comments: