Thursday, March 22, 2012

Stillness

Something I think we all find hard to do, or at least challenging, is being still. It's so hard to just be still, isn't it? We have a ton of things that need to be done, and people we need to see, food to pick up and cleaning that should be done. I have found a few things challenging this week and one of them was being ok with being still.


I find it easy to keep the boob tube off until about 6:00 in the evening. The quite from just me and the herd is pretty quite. I wouldn't say that it's driving me crazy, but it is different. I find that I'm seeing more and hearing deeper. I get the sense that God wants us to hear him more often but we just don't give him the chance. We don't turn things off! Some will say they need the noise to keep them from going crazy. I would suggest that is just an excuse. The noise keeps us from hearing and thinking deeply. I would go so far as to say we fear the silence. 


I remember when we lived in Hawaii and I was about 7 or 8, I got to have a room of my very own for my birthday. Now the crazy part about this, so did my sister and she got her own room at a younger age than I did! ANYWAY, I had shared a room with my sister for my whole life, all 7 or 8 years and there are certain things that you just get use to when you share a room with someone. The sounds for one thing become something you almost rely on. There was safety there and comfort from that safety. When I got my own room, it was strange and had weird sounds and I wasn't all that comfortable nor did I feel safe! So what did I do? I got a radio and I turned it on so I would have some noise to feel comfortable by. It gave me something to listen to so I wouldn't have to listen to the silence.  


So silence is something that I am learning to enjoy. By nature or birth, I'm a loud person, however, I'm getting a little quieter lately and I'm finding that I'm ok with it. I am finding that God fills all the area's that we will allow him to fill, even the silence. He is closer than your very breath, if you will but listen for him.       

No comments: