Thursday, March 1, 2012

Not a Fan!

I am not a Fan!

I love the way Kyle puts it, click on the link and check it out.


When I first saw the words "I am not a Fan of Jesus Christ" I was taken back some, ok I was taken back a lot! How can you not be a fan of Jesus? To be in the stands and yell for Jesus, Go Jesus Go!  Run Jesus Run!  To be a fan of Jesus is what they tells us to be. We pray in Jesus' name and say we do things in his name. Can you tell me what that looks like? It's not about being a fan, it's about being a follower!


I get the feeling we know more about being Pharisees' than being followers of Jesus! We like to talk a good talk about what we do in the name of Jesus, we put our dollar in the offering plate as it comes by cuz we don't want anyone to think we aren't giving! We also fold it a few times so no one can tell what we're giving. We talk about how so and so can't sing or isn't dressed right or smells funny, but do we deny ourselves ever, to get out of our little box and be a follower and not a fan?


Don't get me wrong, I am so not where Jesus is calling me to be! I have a hard time with denying myself, thinking I can do what Jesus is calling me to do, and the one that will surprise everyone... speaking the truth in love. I can speak the truth, I'm learning about the love part! But I think the point of the matter is, are you willing? Are you available? Are you ready?


I keep thinking I am, then Sister Rachel had us read Luke and to ask the question, what did it cost the disciples to be a follower of Jesus? This is about getting out of the stands and getting on the field. This is where people yell at you when you do something dumb. Where you get hurt and make mistakes. Really, where the rubber meets the road. What are the costs that you need to look at when it comes to being a true follower of Jesus? 


Then I think about being on the field with other followers and I really can't hear the fans in the stands so much any more. I'm too busy, shouldering the burden with others and encouraging them and being encouraged in return. I'm about listening to what Jesus is calling me to, seeing what He has for me and having an open heart for the things that Jesus has a heart for.


I come out of myself and I see that being a follower is not about me and what I can or can't do! It's all about Jesus and what he can do with me! I am humbled here, on the field, to be part of something so much bigger than myself. I feel unworthy to even be on the field and try to move towards the sideline so that the big guns can do their thing. Then I hear that small voice and I feel the hand on my back and I know that I am being called to be apart of the team. To die to self and live in Christ! That's when my heart gets so big that I swear it's going to blow up!


This is where I am. 


   

No comments: