Thursday, December 15, 2011

Promised recipe! Bourbon Balls!

Here is the Kentucky Bourbon Ball recipe that I promised Kelly I would post!


INGREDIENTS:
1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
5 tablespoons Kentucky bourbon (there is a difference, used Woodford Reserve, would like to try Marker's Mark)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (16 oz) package confectioners' sugar (Momma told me this was powered sugar!)
18 oz semisweet chocolate


DIRECTIONS:
1. Place the nuts in a sealable jar. Pour the bourbon over the nuts. Seal and allow to soak overnight.
2. Mix the butter and sugar, fold in the soaked nuts. Form 3/4" balls and refrigerate overnight.
3. Line a tray with waxed paper. Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over just-barely simmering water, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching. Roll the balls in the melted chocolate to coat; arrange on the prepared tray. Store in refrigerator until serving.


NOTES FROM ME!
Balls that have been formed before chocolate is added
This will take three days! You can double the recipe and I suggest you do it, cuz it's a pain in the butt to do all this work for 24 balls! To make the balls, I used 2 teaspoons instead of my hands to get the balls into a ball shape. I did not work about the 'Just-barely simmering water"! If your making these things this is not your first rodeo and you know how to melt chocolate, so melt the chocolate! WARNING!!!! The balls will start to melt in the chocolate if they haven't been chilled overnight. I tried to push the making process and got a ton of chocolate on my fingers and had to melt extra! Someone suggested that I add a tablespoon of oil to the chocolate to keep it from sticking to me, I like to have something to bitch about!


All in all, these are pretty tasty! If you don't like bourbon, this will not help change your mind. You can also add a half of a pecan on top of the chocolate before it hardens up, if you think that will help, I like them without the added nut. It just get's in the way. 


If this ends up being too much for you, go to www.gethsemanifarms.org and order some of the monks fudge, it will blow your socks off!! 
Not sure what I'm doing here!

No comments: