Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Goodness Gracious

Court yard, growed up mess!
I went to the church yesterday with the purpose of weeding part of the court yard. I had been warned that there was Poison Ivy, Brown Recluse Spiders, 5 mother birds with babies in nest's that love to dive bomb, a sprinkler system that didn't work and very poor soil that looked more like land fill than dirt. My goal was to get the weeds out of there so plants could be planted, my aim became to get out of there without harm being done to me! After five sacks of weeds, I was happy that I got half of it done!


Today's word is purposing, or purpose if that makes more sense to you. Do you have a purpose? I looked this lovely word up and here's what I found: 
To resolve (to do something) - verb
Reason for which something exists or is done, made, used - noun
Aim - determination
Now, I know that it depends on who you are or who you talk to, when we talk about what our purpose is. Let's see...To live well, to live hard, to die with all the toys. To be a good person, a good wife, a good citizen...Good, really, that's all you want is good! Not me buddy! I want exceptional! Think about it, are you aiming to be good? Is your reason for being this day to be good? Are you "being good"? What the heck is good anyway? Not bad?! How about being bad to the bone? I regress. How good is good enough? 

If our aim, our determination, is to be good, does that take a lot of us to do? I think not. To be exceptional, now that is a challenge, that's a reason for which to exist! Who's with me? Who's your example of this "goodness"? Jesus? Really? You think he was good? He was exceptional dude! He loved, served, worshiped, prayed...everything he did he was over the top! His aim was to be like God. He was made to do what the father told him to do. Guess what? We were made for the same purpose, do be Christ in the world, to do what God tells us to do. That looks different for different people, cuz we aren't all suppose to be the hands or the eye or the ear of Christ. We are to come together and be the body of Christ, everyone doing what they have been told by God to do. What's that, you don't know what God is telling you to do? Well, that my friend is part of the mystery that we are here to work out, everyday. 
I'm going to tell you a short story. There once was a gal who heard from God. He told her to go into the world and to help heal the broken people, by telling her story of how God had healed her. So off she went. After a while, the gal began to get confused about what God told her to do, so she listen to other people who had been told by God to be mother's to orphans. That sounded good, so off she went. Then one day a very wise Sister, who has been around the block a few times, asked her what God thought about all this. The gal was shocked! She hadn't really asked God what He thought about it, because it was GOOD what she was doing. So the gal closed her eye's and asked in that timid little gal way, "God...what do you think?" "It wasn't me idea!" Wooo, but it's good and nobel and upright. And it's not what God told me to do. God told me to tell my story and to help heal broken people. That's my part in being the body of Christ and it's my purpose in Christ! I'm not to be good, I'm to be exceptional and excited and on fire to show people that God can and will heal you from what is breaking you. 
So is good, good enough for you? It's not for me, not anymore!   


1 comment:

redheadbeck said...

Ah ha!! I hear ya, I feel ya! I'm excited for ya! I'm about to go back down on my knees and ask the same question? "God what do you want me to do~ and do exceptionally well for you??"

I've struggled so much with this "goodness~mediocrity thing" and feel "called" to the exceptional to be a part of God's light!

Love you Sistah!!!