Saturday, January 8, 2011

CPR

One of the bazillion things we have to do before we are OK'ed to be foster parents is spend 8 hours getting trained in CPR. In all honesty, I don't have a problem with knowing this info, which by the way, Alex and I both have taken classes like this for 30 years because of different jobs and such. What is driving me crazy is that we can't just get updated, we have to do it all over again! So we are going to waste our day in Tinitown at the Red Cross building beating on a dummies chest. What really makes my crazy is how come the twelve year olds who are having the babies aren't required to do this? 


So this got me thinking about what Alex and I are really going to be doing. We are going to be stepping into the lives of kids who's parents haven't been property trained to be parents! These parents are the ones who think shaking a kid by the shoulders will shake so sense into them. I don't have a problem with knowing this stuff that we are going to be learning this month but dang, wouldn't it be easier to take care of the problem before there was one? Instead of teaching sex education in 4th grade maybe we should be teaching how to change diapers and check for a fever. Or maybe it would be the advanced part of sex education, the truth and how it's going to change you! We want everyone to be free to experience life on their own terms and to say things like If it feels good, do it! but what about the life that you screw up in the process? Has anyone except these future foster parents thought about this? What's really going to get me is when we do make a difference in someone life and they are forced to go back to the birth parents, who messed everything up to start with.


Ok, I need to be looking for support groups for this kind of thing or I'm going to end up taking on the whole system. Which might not be such a bad thing. I'm sick and tired of Christians not standing up for what they believe anyway, so this could be a spring board for that huh? 
Note to self: Remember to breath!     

No comments: