Thursday, June 3, 2010

Rest day?


Today was going to be Work in the Yard day; however, it rained a lot last night and, in fact, is still spitting some. Alex just walked by the office, and I informed him that it's too wet to work in the yard, and he said good, we needed a day off. What?! How can we take a day off when we aren't done yet? Easy; you just do it. Is this hard for anyone else, or is it a problem that only I have? We worked hard yesterday putting up pictures, unpacking boxes, making piles of boxes that need to be stored and cleaning up as we went. The DirecTV guy came by and hooked us up (we have a phone and internet), and the trash folks should be dropping off a can and recycle bin some time this week, so it does seem like we can take some time off.
 
So much has been done, yet so much still needs to be done. It's always hard for me to stop before it's done. But what is the hurry? I think we get caught up in the whole idea of getting it all done and all together, but honestly, when does this ever happen? I can tell you it's never happened for me, and I'm tired of beating myself up about it. I want to be able to sit down and enjoy spending time with my husband, even if a wall of boxes is looming. I want to be able to read a book, pray, spend time with God or whatever suits my fancy and not be eaten up with guilt because the yard needs mowing.
 
So here it is people, a challenge to be in life instead of about life. Take the time to do what is on your heart to do, not what's on your plate. If you’re like me, your plate will always have something on it that needs to be taken care of. If you don't take the time to sit and listen and spend time with those you love, you will wake up one day and you won't have that option. So today, we're going to do a sort of rest thing. We are going to take some trash to the church, pick up gas and parts for the lawn mower, buy some taco shells, and I'm sure we'll make a list for tomorrow. I bet that list will include unpacking boxes.

No comments: