Sunday, May 9, 2010

Salt

I've been thinking about salt today of all things! Those of you that know me, know I put salt on just about everything and I really think I picked this up from my dad! However, I keep it up for a few reason, one of which is I really love that it brings out the flavor of food more intensely! I also know with having thyroid issues, we need iodized salt in our diet. Here's something to think about: Say you are out with some friends having dinner and everything is great, the conversation is intriguing and the atmosphere is wonderful. Then the food comes and you notice that it's in need of salt. So you shake some salt on the food, give it a taste, and yes it is so much better!  You go on the have a great evening. The next morning you are talking the great evening over with your friends and no one brings up the fact that the meal was somewhat saved by the salt being added to the food, in fact no one even remembers shaking the salt shaker! 
Sometimes God calls us to do great things for Him. Sometimes He calls us to get out of our comfort zones, get out of the boat, face the unknown, and do bold things in His name. I mean look at the Bible, it's full of stories in varying degrees of compliance as God calls people to defining moments.
Sometimes, God just calls us to be salt.
The thing about salt is that it never is the main point. It's not a defining moment.It's not a moment in history or a huge thing of greatness. But it is good. Especially to the one who is touched by it.
We don't tell people about restaurants based on how incredible their salt is, now do we? The Bible also doesn't give us a whole lot of information about Mary the mother of Jesus. We do know it was pretty normal up to the point where the angel came to chat with her. God wasn't calling her to be the Messiah, he was calling her to be a mom, the mom of Jesus no doubt, but a mom none the less. It's like Jesus was the main meal and Mary was the salt. That's how I see my mom, she is my salt! Now, don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying I'm Jesus! I'm saying in my life my mom has been sprinkled over me and given me a flavor that is all mine. She has helped me to become who I am and helped shaped me into who I will become. My life would have been so bland if I hadn't had my saltily mom in it.
So Happy Mother's day Momma! Thanks for being my salt! I Love You!       

No comments: