Thursday, April 8, 2010

Wake up O sleeper!


I am all about being opened to the moving of the Holy Spirit, and I truly believe in the fact that He will wake you up in the middle of the night. But for well over a month now, I have been awoken almost nightly at about 3 a.m. I was talking with a gifted spiritual director about such things, and she had told me that was the third watch, when Jesus knocks and wants to speak to us. I told her I thought it was hormones, and she said women often make that mistake but that Jesus will stir up our hormones if that's what it takes to get our attention. I can see that! I know that I'm in a place of transition right now. It's exciting and a little freaky, but I'm ready to hear from God in anyway that He sees fit. So if that means I will be up early in the morning, I will seek Him! I believe that God doesn't care how much sleep we get. It’s the doctors who have decided how much we need. He wants to know if we're ready to do what He's calling us to do. When we get tired, we should sleep or take power naps, but when He wakes us up, we might as well get out of bed and go to the foot of the cross and ask Him, “What do you need from me?” Today, the first thing I read when I got up was, "Wake up O sleeper and rise from the dead and Christ will shine on you!" He will meet you right where you are every time if you but seek Him. So the next time you find yourself awake, and you look at the clock and it says something around 3 a.m., smile and stretch, friend! Do what I did this morning; at 2, I woke and smiled at God and asked if there was someone He needed me to pray for. Then at 3 I couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up and read my devotional stuff, got back in bed at 4:30, turned the alarm off at 5 and got up again for coffee. I’m running on not much sleep lately, and God is OK with that, and I think I am too, cuz I don't want to miss a thing. You never know; God could be waking me up to pray for you!

No comments: