Saturday, April 10, 2010

In-between



I have found a new word that I'm not to sure how to say, but you won't have to hear me say it, and you can figure it out for yourself. It's Liminal Space. Here's what I know about it: Limen is another way of describing the in-between space of a doorway. Liminality indicates the uncomfortable ambiguity that develops when we are standing in the middle of a juncture of significant change. Jane Pretat wrote, "It's as if we were caught in a darkened vestibule between an old way of being and a new...The doors of the past close behind us. The doors to the future are still unopened. Too often we forget that only by enduring our time in the liminal space between those doors, waiting for an opening, can we eventually move freely across a threshold into the future." So what do you think about that? This is where I am living right now! This in-between space has become where I am, because the past is closing and the future is opening. It's like a caterpillar that is in the chrysalis waiting to bust out and become the butterfly. Somehow the metamorphosis is taking place, and all that I have to do is be here and be still in the change. For someone who finds it very hard to not make things happen, this is hard. This is the narrow gate that Jesus talked about, and hard is the road. In Matthew 7:13-14 he talks about this narrow gate and hard road leading to life. Not that I didn't have life before, but this is the new life. 
So I'm in this Liminal Space, waiting for the metamorphosis to happen and a door to open so I can squeeze through this narrow gate and fly out into a new life. Wow, huh?

No comments: