Wednesday, January 20, 2010

This is your hip!


It's official, or as official as it gets for someone without a job or insurance...I have a strained hip flexor, Dang IT!  I have been trying to figure out how this happened and I wanted to blame it on going from the evil treadmill to the hard asphalt last Thursday, but after talking with the leader of the Power half hour that I do 3 times a week, he thinks it was when I was doing a plank and he pushed down on my leg like he saw them do on Biggest Loser!  I am now looking to take a hit out  on him.

Anyway, I have never been an athlete!  My whole life I was in the band because you could get away with smoking and drinking on the bus and this didn't give you strains or broken bones, unless you fall off the bus.  So pain and strains are new to me and if I'm not bleeding or have some bone sticking out of my skin, I think I should be ale to keep on running!  WRONG! I have found that the cause is from overuse (yeah, whatever) and the way to fix it is, rest and ice and anti-flamatories (whatever that means).  My 1st problem was how to get ice in the crease of my hip cuz ice don't bend.  So I found this really cool recipe for slushy ice stuff.  You mix 3 cups of water with 1 cup of alcohol in a ziplock and freeze...now I know what your thinking, what kind of alcohol?  So here's the deal, I used rubbing alcohol because I'm a good girl (whatever) but if you use some other kind of alcohol like the drinking instead of the rubbing kind...when the slushy ice stuff melts some, stick a straw in the baggy and see how it tastes and let me know!

So with the ice problem solved, my next problem is what can I do to keep up my fitness?  Well to start with maybe not drinking the slushy ice stuff.  So now I am on the hunt for core strengthening things to do.  There seems to be a problem with most runners being unbalanced, you know great legs and hips that fall apart?  Which leads me to my newest discovery, I'm going to make a great runner BECAUSE I have always been unbalanced!  If you have any cool idea's for me to try to strengthen my core while my legs decompose to nothing, just let me know!  I'm all ears and strained hip flexor!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! The slushy ice stuff sounds like a winner recipe - will keep it (the recipe) on hand. Mom and I do balance exercises at the Sr. Center Watch Your Step class - but I don't think that's what you are looking for 'cause we are 92 and 67! And certainly not as fit . . .
Take care of yourself!!