Saturday, January 23, 2010

Cornbread and Injury



This is my Grannie's cornbread recipe, and it's you you!


1 tablespoon of bacon fat melted in iron skillet
1 cup corn meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
dash of salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk 
pinch of baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
Heat oven to 420 degrees, place skillet with bacon fat in oven as it preheats. Mix ingredients in a bowl without adding the sugar. When oven is preheated, add sugar, pour some of the melted bacon fat into your bowl and stir. Pour bowl contents into skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes. If it's not brown enough, place under broiler until it is. There you have it!


Update on the injury: It's not the hip flexor; it's the groin! My massage therapist, Joe Watts, had a look at it and worked it out some yesterday. I'm glad to know that it's not the hip flexor, although I wish it weren’t the groin either. I would have been a lot happier if it had been a broken nail or something simple like that. For those of you who haven't hurt your groin before, don't go out and try to get this injury cuz it just plain hurts. This crazy muscle pulls your legs together, helps you walk and most importantly has something to do with the pushing off during running.  The reason it gets hurt is because it's not as big as the quads. It's the cute little muscle on the inner thigh, not the big bulging one on top! I continue to ice it with my cool icy slushy thing in a bag and sorta rest. I did a second day on the elliptical today, and seemed to be none the worse for it.  I do, however, believe that this machine will rank as high in my opinion as the evil treadmill someday!   


I miss running! I might be certifiably crazy, but I really enjoy running! It makes me wonder why I never tried out for track. Oh, wait a minute—band! Never has so much been blamed or credited to the other sport, Marching Band! It's like the other white meat.      


No comments: