Saturday, March 22, 2014

Longings

Longing... this is what I found = strong, persistent desire or craving, especially for something unattainable or distant. Having or characterized by persistent or earnest desire. Do you have longings?

One of my longings is to show people how easy it is to be Christ to each other. To be an example, to be living proof that caring for someone that's different won't hurt you. It might make you a little uncomfortable, but growth and change are uncomfortable.

I don't know where longings come from. Have I wondered? Yes. If I had to guess, I'm putting my money on God. I believe God gives us the longing, and then gives us what we are longing for.

Another longing I have is to be used by God. That's it. Short and simple. Years ago, when I started praying to be used by God, I didn't have a specific job in mind that I would be doing for God but I was sure with my personality, education and work ethic, the job would be the most awesomest! Have you found that God has a sense of humor?


The foundational instinct is that we are here essentially to risk ourselves in the world; that we are a form of invitation to others and to otherness, that we are meant to hazard ourselves for the right thing, for the right woman or the right man, for a son or a daughter, for the right work or for a gift given against all the odds. In longing we move and are moving from a known but abstracted elsewhere, to a beautiful, about to be reached, someone, something or somewhere we want to call our own. ~ David Whyte


To risk ourselves, to be the invitation to others. 

Where I am right now is lonely. If I really think about it, where I've been for years has been lonely. But I'm not alone. I have my longing, which keeps me stepping out there. It causes me to risk myself for the other. 

Wanna join me?

No comments: