Wednesday, November 27, 2013

My Perla

We drove out to the airport last night to pick up my dear sweet friend Perla, who flew in from Colorado Springs to spend Thanksgiving with us. I believe the plane was blown here as that arctic blast moved into the area. In fact, they landed 15 minutes early, but couldn't unload because there was a plane in their spot.

I haven't spent much time at this airport, so I was unsure where we were to meet the disembarking plane people, so I followed the crowd. I went to the point where they have signs that warn you if you go any farther an alarm would sound, and there I waited.

I found tears were forming and I couldn't put my finger on why. Granted, this was Perla, who had shared in and was huge part of my soup kitchen days. I hadn't seen her in 7 years, yet we usually talk once a year. So maybe I just missed her and was excited to see her again.

Then it hit me, Perla is part of God's success story in me. I had the bull by the horns when I ran Manna and Perla stood right beside me! Do you have someone in your life that made history with you? Then you have a Perla too.

As I look at her now, I see her hearing God as we speak. I admire how she has stood for what God has called her to and I know she is one in a million. 

Perla and I fed the hungry together for about 3 years. We laughed, cried and grew together because that was God's plan. I believe He still has something in mind for us even if I don't know what it is.

This year, I'm thankful for a God who has put people in my life that remind me that I'm not a failure, that I can do ministry, and that God is bigger than all the ones who say differently.

No comments: