Saturday, December 29, 2012

Snow Peace!

Wow! I guess I've taken a break and now it's time to get back at it. I've missed writing, but I gotta tell ya', we have been flat out busy! Then the snow came.

I remember while living in Durango, working at the soup kitchen and having to deal with all the snow. Now in Colorado, it doesn't just snow 3 times a year. It starts in October and sometimes is still dropping in June and July. I can remember shoveling for day's on end, because you have to keep up with it or you're in some big trouble and can't get out or in. But the peace and the quiet that comes from a snow, if you're open to seeing, hearing, and feeling it will blow you away!

Our Niece and black blur is Gracie
Our niece was down during this latest snow and she remembered when we had that ice storm that wiped out a lot of the south a few years ago. We were in Wilmore in a house that was over 150 years old and still had the same uninsulated walls that were put in it. Anyway, our niece said, with a fondness in her voice, that was one of her favorite times because the family came together and did what had to be done. You made pallets and sat in the kitchen or in front of the gas fireplace and hung out together. There's a peace that comes with a winter storm if we just just take the time to be in it.

It's hard for me sometimes to just sit and be. I'm sure this is not a surprise to most of you. This winter storm brought about 12 inches to a place that doesn't believe in snow shovels, snow plows or salt. Our driveway has been clean for days, yet the road is still covered in ice. So this has caused us to slow down, to take time to read, to make soups and beans and things that will cause the stove to be on so we can enjoy the heat it brings. We have been in each others faces for day's on end and I'm still glad I married this man!

We went for a walk yesterday as the snow/sleet/rain was falling in the late afternoon. It was quiet  and peaceful. Our feet crunched on the snow turned to ice and the wind was enough to take your breath away. Being out there reminded me of Colorado and how God began to speak to me all those years ago. Sometimes He calls us out of our comfort zone so that we can hear and see Him. Sometimes we take that time. 

I pray you had a calm Christmas. The King is born, let us see things with news eyes as we welcome in the new year!

1 comment:

Relyn Lawson said...

I just wanted to pop by and wish you the happiest new year. May your 2013 be full of blessings, laughter, and happy surprises. Thank you for the inspiration you share here.