Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What If?

Today is a busy day so I need to get this bad boy done and get in the shower! Preacher man let me sleep in today, and I needed it more than I thought. While Tuesday is just about the only day I can sleep in, it's still one of my busiest and today is no exception. I have Retreat in Daily Life, that's the spiritual exercises, at 10. I then meet with my spiritual director at noon, if he comes from Fort Smith with this inch of snow we got! Mammogram at 3 and bible study tonight in Fayetteville at 6.


But I thought of something this morning and I wanted to share it. One of my running songs is "If today was your last day" by Nickleback. It asks the question "What if...?" If today was your last day and tomorrow was too late, could you say goodbye to yesterday? Would you live each moment like your last? Leave old pictures in the past? Donate every dime you had? 
So why don't we? Have you ever thought about that? I wish I could say that more times than not, I do live this way, but it's not true. I hold grudges, old hurts and disappointments way to tight. I really don't think that's what Jesus is calling us, asking us, to do. He repeatedly tells us to lay it down at the foot of the cross, to take on his yoke. (Do you know why a yoke is such a perfect thing? Because it distributes the weight!) But we hold onto our crap, living each day half ass!
What would it look like if you were to live today like it was your last? To do something for someone so you could see them being blessed in the moment. It doesn't even have to be someone you don't know, try living like that with your spouse or friends or coworkers. 
We all can give blessings, it doesn't have to come from the church or a pastor, it can come from you. You can hug someone and bless them. You can take the time to look into their eyes and really hear what they aren't saying to you. Just something to think about today!   

No comments: