Saturday, December 31, 2011

Last day!

There's something going on around me, well, maybe I should say within my sphere of influence, that I'm really liking. I'm reading some blogs and these folks are starting to slow down too. Here's something that the great wisdom dude JD Walt wrote just today.


The closer the orbit the faster we must move. The faster we move the less we see. The less we see the more limited our perspective. The more limited our perspective the shallower our wisdom. The shallower our wisdom the more anemic our life.


He's talking about s-l-o-w-i-n-g. JD happens to be one of those people who does 984 things at once, lives on snickers bars and wonders why he can't loose weight. He has always had a way of making me think deeper than normal and it always sounds so simple coming from him.


Some of the slowing things I'm going to do this coming year are as follows. I'm going to spend an hour in contemplative prayer each day, I'm going to watch the sun rise and marvel that it does! I'm going to watch the squirrels in the backyard for their secret wisdom, which also means I will keep feeding them. I'm going to run a half marathon just to finish not to set some record and hopefully will be able to cheer others on. I also want to read more and I really like what JD said he was going to do...drive 5 miles an hour under the speed limit.


I looked up anaemic and this is what I found: Lacking power, vigor, vitality, or colorfulness. I want those things in my life! So I'm going to slow down, back up and do some pondering.


I don't know if this would be considered a New Year's resolution or not and in truth, I don't do them anymore cuz they never really happen. This is a choice, something I've been thinking about for a while and now seems as good a time to do it as any. It won't be easy, mainly cuz it goes against the American way, so to speak. But God is calling me to it and I'm going to obey. 


Is this something that knocks at your heart? Whatcha going to do about it?



No comments: