Saturday, June 11, 2011

It's coming!

I am totally excited about what's finally happening in my garden! The cucumbers seem to have come out of the state of water logged ungrowth and the tomatoes are growing fast. I need to fertilize more often as the flowers are falling off after they bloom and not holding on to make fruit. The cukes are what I am most happiest about as we have flowers! I am so sad that all my garlic has died, which I believe I can credit the rain for. Why in the world it was so easy to grow it in Kentucky is beyond me. I pray it's because of the water we got and not any other strange issue I'm unaware of. The dill is coming along slowly and showing me that I might need to be buying some when the time comes. I am waiting in great anticipation for the day I can start doing pickles again. Remind me I said that if I start to whine about it.


I am also excited that tomorrow is Pentecost - the day we remember and celebrate the coming of the Holy Spirit to the church. We wear red to show our celebration of the fire that came down, that we too are on fire with the spirit. Preacher's preach on Act 2:38 however I love the story in John!


On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you." When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the father has sent me, even so I am sending you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them: if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld." John 20:19-23
We are in the business of assuring God's forgiveness of our sins. All of us, to each other. We are the church and it's our job. Steve Harper said it well when he said:


Let’s approach Pentecost this year from a different angle.  Let’s “receive the Holy Spirit” so that we may be assured of God’s forgiveness of our sins.  And then, let us turn to offer forgiveness to those who need to know forgiveness in their lives.

No comments: