Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Get a hold!

Our Young man is taking his EOC (End of Course) geometry test the first half of today and tomorrow and is a little nervous about it. We have been studying ever since we found out about it and saw the grade he has now, which is not at all passing. 
We did take a break last night when Preacher and Young man made dinner! It was great! They did rib-eyes, baked potatoes, green beans and I stepped in and showed how to make roasted garlic! Young man is very interested in cooking and hopes to be a chef someday. Tonight, we will make meatloaf, mashed taters and maybe some gravy. You know I can teach anybody to make gravy!


I read this and wanted to share it with you today:

The meaning of prayer is that we get a hold of God, not the answers! 

During this Holy Week, I think it's important that we try and get this. When you pray do you have your list of wants and needs that you go over? Do you ask for forgiveness from your sins and promise to walk closer to Jesus? Or do you go after God? What the heck does that look like anyway? For me lately, it has meant putting down the devotions and getting into just the Bible. Don't get me wrong, the devotions speak to my heart and are a great way of starting my time with God. They help get me focused, centered and prepare me for what God has for me. But so does just the Bible. I was talking with a friend and she put it well when she said, "I want to hear from God!" That is me right now too. I want to get a hold of God and just stand in his light. I want to know that what I am doing is right and that God is in it with me. 
Having Young man in our house has turned our lives a little on edge and it's bringing things up in me that I thought I dealt with long time ago. I want to know that we are doing what God wants. I want to hear God telling me that this was his plan, so get over yourself and get on with what I'm calling you do to. It's hard standing in the gap, for real. It looked a little easier when we were on the outside. But we are in it now and we are in it to win it, even if it's hard and uncomfortable and time consuming! It takes a community that's for sure and it takes getting a hold of God daily, sometimes hourly! I am working on not needing the answers and only needing to get a hold of God.   

No comments: