Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Out of Town!

I think it's so neat when people start checking on me when I haven't blogged in a couple of days! I'm fine and sorry to leave you in the dark, but I was at St. Scholastica hanging out with my new favorite Sisters! I had a day of reflection followed by some Spiritual Direction, it was awesome! To think that we have this jewell of a place only a short hour from here just really makes my day! Now, let me have a disclaimer here and say it's not the Abbey of Gethsemani but we do have St. Benedict to thank for both of them.


Labyrinth
I arrived around noon and after talking with three sisters, finally found the retreat center I was to check in at. I tried walking in the front door and the Sisters were not too crazy about that idea, but they did remember me at dinner. Have you ever showed up somewhere hoping that a certain outcome would happen, only to be totally blown away by what God had in mind for you? Well, that was what happened to me. I walked the Labyrinth and did a lot of forgiving and receiving. It's a one way in and a one way out kind of a deal and as you are walking to the center, it's a time of release or purgation, as St Teresa of Avila calls it. You focus on surrendering anxieties, fears, resentments. Letting go of everything that you would like to control. A fruitful dying process, a going into the tomb, a quieting of the mind. When you get to the center you receive or or have illumination. I received the Breath of God restoring me to new life. It was beautiful! The return out is also called union and you carry what you have been given back out to your family, community and world.


Everything that I read or heard from God was sweet to my soul and let me know that God has the plan and what my part is to be in a small part of it. It was refreshing and I was filled up in a way that had been empty for a while. It wasn't the "I'm doing something new in you." moment that I had at the Abbey, but it was a"Breath deep and know that I am God" kind of a moment! He is in control and that's all I need to know right now!

1 comment:

redheadbeck said...

Wow! What an awesome experience!! Remember me on some of these retreats okay?? Love you!