Monday, March 21, 2011

Involved

Why is it that we are so afraid of getting involved? Years ago, we use to sit out on our porches, and get in everybody's business. But now, we sit inside, afraid of being seem. I just don't get it. I had a good friend in Durango and her husband left her, no one really got involved. I don't know if it would have made a difference one way or the other, but we'll never know. Everyone was too afraid to get involved. 


The other day in the news, three people were arrested because kids found in their care were malnourished. How does that happen? How do people go about their day and not noticed whats happening next door? Are we afraid? If we are, what exactly are we afraid of? 


Kierkegaard was a Danish philosopher and theologian who spent most of his life studying fear. He suggests that 1) fear occurs when the human spirit is afraid of itself, 2) fear is often a substitute for guilt, and 3) guilt always results in an inhibition of love. So is this to say that we are afraid of ourselves, maybe even to love ourselves?


What this brings to mind is I John 4:18 "In love there can be no fear, but fear is driven out by perfect love: because to fear is to expect punishment, and anyone who is afraid is still imperfect in love." So love is the antidote to fear! Now that's something I can live with! 


I'm getting to the point in my life where I get really mad at injustice on any level. I believe animals and children are given to us to love and not to be smacked around or kick to the curb! They need to be fed, encouraged and flat out taken care of, because their dependent on us! When that doesn't happen, I get mad! So when someone "forgets" to feed animals and children I think we need to get involved in order to stop the madness! I believe if we would love more we would see a huge drop in domestic violence and animal cruelty, don't you? I also believe we have to get involved in the lives of those around us. I refuse to be afraid or eat up with fear! If we don't stand up for the ones who can't stand up for themselves, then what will happen to them? I believe in the love that drives out fear and that's what I'm going to hang on to! My hope rests in God and His perfect love!  

3 comments:

redheadbeck said...

Amen Sistah!

Unknown said...

Add to fear the desire to protect ourselves and image causes us to stand by instead of jump in. I'm totally guilty of doing this, but I'm trying to keep my eyes and heart open.

Lindsay said...

Ooops, the Parker comment is from Lindsay. :) I guess I was signed into my Craig's List account. HA!