Saturday, February 12, 2011

Don't compare!

I love lazy Saturday's! I would love them more if I would stop telling the Creek boss I would work on them. There is a lesson here, I'm just wanting for it to show up and smack me in the face!
I was reading Steve Harper's blog this morning and he is putting in a new Soul Bytes thing. It's a very short "thought for the day" kind of a thing and I'm going to share it with you.


Never compare your work for Christ with someone else’s.  We “die by comparison.”  Do what you can for Christ (Colossians 3:17).

This just might be the lesson I was waiting on to smack me in the face! Do you ever do this? Compare your work with someone else's? I have found that I envy some folks and what they are getting to do with God. I'm not saying I'm proud of it, I'm confessing it and asking forgiveness from God, not you. You have your own stuff to deal with huh? Anyway, I think that when we do compare ourselves with others, what 'dies' is our work for Christ. We stop! Completely sometimes! The comparison causes us to see our work as not as important as their work, and that is a lie straight out of the pit of hell! We need to put our shoulder to the task at hand and rejoice that others are doing something and we don't have to do it all! We also need to remember that we aren't called to do it all, that's why we are in a body of Christ, not the arm of the law, so to speak. Do what you can for Christ! Do something! When Christ lives in your heart you want to work for him! So when you don't see those folks any other time but Sunday's, pray that Christ would come a live for them, because they just don't have it going on. I mean really, think about it and stop being so hard on me. If you are 'alive' in Christ, your working it out aren't you? Your on a few committees, take a study to learn more, showing up at a prayer breakfast and cooking whatever they need you to cook. Even if you don't know what to do, you start showing up and believe me, someone who has the gift of finding people who aren't plugged in, will find you and off you go. When you do your work, do it for the glory of God, not because someone will see you or thank you! That's when comparison shows up, so watch out for it! Now get out there and do what you can for Christ!   

No comments: