Monday, August 16, 2010


If you had asked me last night if today was going to come off without a hitch, I would have said no. But after living through today and knowing that hindsight is 20/20, I gotta say, "Another one bites the dust!" I had this all planned out in my head, so I could get every stinkin' thing done that I feel I want to do and what needs to be done. And as of this moment, I think it got done. I was, of course, up at 3 a.m. for who knows what reason, so I prayed and sang songs to God in my head so as not to wake the Reverend. I got out of bed at 4:45, fed the herd and put them outside and was out the door for my morning run at 5. I ran three miles in about 32 minutes with the walk/run method, but the Garmin was acting up again, so I don't know what my real time was. I got home at 5:30, got in the shower and was off to work with breakfast eaten and lunch packed by 6:30.
I pulled into the parking garage at about 7 and waited for Mr. Bus Driver Man to come and get me. Got to the bookstore at 7:30 and had my devotional time with a cup of Peet's coffee on the porch. By 8:00, I was clocked in and we were having a morning meeting. Next thing I know, Joe is making me the leader of the first-shift door greeters. Great—more responsibility. I couldn't figure out if he did that because he sensed my exceptional leadership ability or if I was the oldest looking one there. I locked myself out of my locker first thing, and Joe had to help me open it. It was a tough day for Joe, as his nephew had committed suicide the night before, and he was trying very hard to hold up. He left to go be with family and said he would see us on Wednesday and to wing it. Maybe he left me in charge because I looked like I have winged a few things before. Anyway, the students slowly started coming in with their moms and dads, and I thought how cute that was. I just remember mom and dad helping me unload at the dorm and hitting the road ASAP. I felt so abandoned and grown up at the same time. Anyway, kids nowadays have it so much easier, and I think they're soft, but I have two weeks to do this job, and I will talk about their softness later.
The alarm went off a bazillion times, and all of it was our fault. There were also the people who liked to walk too close to the stupid detectors. All in all, it was a good day, and I know the parents were glad I was there to point out where the bathrooms were and where to leave all their money as they made their way out the door with their children’s futures. The folks that have been there longer are telling us that Wednesday is when it should be crazy, so that gives me something to look forward to.
As I was waiting for the bus to come pick me up after work, a huge herd of girls in light green shirts came walking in front of me for about 20 minutes. Came to find out they were girls going through rush and also came to find out there are 900 of them! That doesn't even include the boys that won't even start up until two weeks after school starts. I plan on being long gone by then.

No comments: