Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Make it count


I looked at a blog this morning, and the question was asked, "How are you making your minutes count today?" So I got to thinking about that, and mainly what I feel like is that I'm not making my minutes count for anything. Do you ever feel like that? I mean, I'm sure they're counting on the big scheme of things, but right now, right here, I'm just not seeing it. I'd like to think that running and walking would count to get these extra pounds off my body, but it doesn't seem to be working that way. I'd like to think that watering the lawn would count to make the grass live, but it's just allowing moles an easier access. I'm sure I spend too much time at the computer, but I’m not really sure what else I should be doing. I'm going to go pick tomatoes at the church and deliver them to the food pantry this morning, and I guess that would count in helping feed some folks. Then this evening, I'm going to try my hand at handbells and then go sing at choir practice, which counts, sorta. 
But then I ran across this C.S. Lewis quote from Mere Christianity. “The more we let God take us over, the more truly ourselves we become. Because He made us.” Does that say anything to you? It almost sounds like a Mary/Martha thing I've been reading about. We need to be about being instead of doing. Would that make my minutes count? It goes against everything that we hold dear as a society, which is that we must be about doing. I think in that, is where my fight begins. It's very hard to just be, because we feel and look like we are wasting time and not making our minutes count for anything. But if in that being we are letting God take us over, wouldn't that count? We slowly become more truly ourselves, which is to look like who made us—God.
So in order to make your minutes count, I guess the first thing is you have to decide who you are making them count for. Is it the corporate ladder guys, the society that appreciates your worth? Or is it your spouse or the lady who looks forward to having a vine-ripened tomato? Maybe it’s that crazy director who calls you "sweet pea" and is just happy to have you around. I guess my minutes are counting today—maybe a little differently than most, but they are counting.

No comments: