Saturday, July 24, 2010

Bear with Me!


How many of us have unforgiveness in our lives? Don't everybody raise their hands at once… But I bet yours is different, huh? You have the right to hold on to yours, don't you? I know I have the right to hold on to mine. Well, I thought I did until God started speaking straight into my life again. Just once, I would really like to be able to justify things like I used to before I became a Jesus follower. Let me go into a little detail, cuz I still justify. I just can't get away with it like I used to, because God won't leave me alone about it. I can almost hear Him say, "Oh really, Kim. You deserve to hold onto this unforgiveness why? I haven't forgiven you?" Oh my gosh! "Yes, God, you have forgiven me," I say as I lower my head and the tone of my voice becomes softer. "But, you don't understand,” I continue. “This is so different and so worthy of holding on to!" So what does he show me, you are asking? Colossians 3:12-17, dang it! 
As God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 
Now this is just 12-13, but I think you get the point. I don't think God is telling me this because He wants to be the boss of me, I think it's because He loves me and wants me to have His best. Why can't we hold onto unforgiveness? Because it’s gross, man! I know we have all seen someone who is holding onto unforgiveness. Think about what it does to us. It's an emotional bondage that consumes us and eats us up from the inside out. Our thinking is distorted with revenge and unrest. It doesn't just affect our mind and spirit, it holds on to us physically too, and we become bitter and bent. Gross!
So then comes the part where I say, "OK, I know I need to forgive, but I just don't feel it God! I want to forgive, but I can't seem to let go of it." And in that very moment, I have given God all He really needs, which is a willing heart. What is so strange is we really can't do it on our own. We have to let God change our hearts. When our hearts change, our minds will change. All I really have to do is lay it down at the foot of the cross. I have to close my eyes, picture the person I have unforgiveness for and see myself laying that person at the foot of the cross. Sometimes, it's even me and the unforgiveness I hold for myself. Every time it jumps back into my arms or worse, I pick it up. I have to lay it back down.
The Word says to bear with one another, forgive as you have been forgiven. I know it's hard. But with Christ, all things are doable!

No comments: