Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Packing


You might notice that I changed up the look of the blog, I hope you like it. I saw the water and just had to use it!
We had the spouse consecration service last night, and I'm so glad we went. We had some great homemade dessert made by Brandie Fitzgerald, who outdid herself. What they call us is a spouse couple; one of us is the student spouse (Alex), and one of us is the working spouse (me). Unknown to the working spouses, the student spouse wrote a letter of thanks to us, and then they read them to the whole group. OMG! Tears were everywhere, and Alex did such a sweet job on his letter. Marilyn has some words of wisdom for us, and it's always good to hear from her. She had a plant in a pot and talked about the root being what supports the plant and the fruit/flowers and God being our root and our ministry being the flowers. Romans 11:18 says, "Remember that it is not you that supports the root, but the root that supports you." When that was done, the working spouse kneeled and the student spouse laid hands on us and prayed over us. It was great! 
It's so hard for me to take a backseat. Not that I can't do it. It’s just that it stretches me and takes me to places that I have no idea about. However, in these places is the opportunity to grow in ways that I haven't before, and that is exciting! I know that Alex sees me as a partner in ministry, and I know that God has big plans for us, even if I can't get my head around it yet.
We heard from Karen, one of the gals at the new church who is helping me find a pet/house sitter for when we get to Rogers. We will leave within the week to go to Annual Conference. She said that she and a gal named Tracy have arranged to have dinner brought to us when we get there and that she is lining folks up to help us unpack. It makes me stop and remember when I would do that for our new pastors. I hope they don't freak out when they see what kind of boxes everything is packed in. You know, Kentucky is known for its most excellent bourbon…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blog looks great - love the water addition.
Your description of the spouse consecration service is very touching, wow!

redheadbeck said...

This made me LOL!!! Bourbon boxes!! Sounds like you are being welcomed with open arms!! How wonderful is that?? What a beautiful ceremony you described-brought tears to my eyes!! And I LOVE the water too!!!