Monday, April 5, 2010

No Pain, All Gain!!


I got up at 5:15 this morning to see about starting a run-rehabilitation routine program. I'm thinking that if I run around a mile three times a week to start with, then slowly add more mileage until I get to the point where I can add Saturday for a long run of about three miles, I should be doing pretty good. That is, unless I get run over cuz it's still dark outside (and let me tell you that if that happens, I'm going to think that God really doesn't want me running). So I laced up my running shoes with the Garmin strapped to my wrist and foot, and off I went into the darkness of morning.

I had forgotten how much I love running in the morning. The robins are singing, the traffic is sparser, the air is newer; it's just all around a good time to be out and running with God. You know what else I forgot? There was no pain in my hip! I almost started crying, cuz this was the very first time that I had no pain that I could feel, at all! Now in the deep places of my mind I was thinking, "I'll go for two miles, I'll go faster, I'll fly further!" Then it was as if something just kind of clicked in my head, and I thought, "No, I'm going to enjoy this, and I'm going to be able to do it two more times this week, and I'm going to remember what it's like to have no pain." So I did. Then I came home and got Alex, and we walked for about 30 minutes, which did me some real good too.

So it has taken me from January 14 until April 5 to recover without going to a doctor. I don't know if going to see a doctor would have shortened my time, but I do have to give some credit to Joe Watts, my massage therapist. He got in my face and said, "STOP!" He loosened up my legs, and now I'm running again. I will let you know how I'm feeling in the morning.

No comments: