Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Unpack


About the time we went to bed last night, the storm crept up on us, and wow, was it a big one. I think we got close to two inches of rain, which is a good thing, since I had put grass fertilizer down a day or so ago. I'm sitting here now, thinking of the extra work I have just made for myself. My problem is I like to have a nice-looking yard. The yard doesn't belong to us, but for a season, we are in charge of it, and I always like to leave things better than I found them. 
I worked some on my essay for spiritual direction yesterday but find it hard to go on and on when I can answer a question in three sentences, and they want 1500 words. Good grief! I have now talked with three ladies about this process and gone over and over it again with Alex, and I'm just going to start, and we'll just have to see where it leads. I also connected with my spiritual director back in Lexington via Skype today. That was different, mainly because I remember the day when I talked to daddy from ship to shore, and we always had to say things like "over" and talk pretty slowly. Skype is real time and real clear-sounding and looking. But then again, I'm old enough to remember using the rotary dial phone and party lines.
I unpacked about four boxes yesterday, and I'm in the process of figuring out where I want to hang all these dang pictures we have. Some of them, I believe, will be put back into a box and kept out of sight just because they are that dated or I'm not crazy about them any more. I am filling boxes to go down to the church yard sale, which I think is this fall. I think it's funny that some of this stuff I didn't want to move, but Alex said put it in a box, and we'll sort it later, so that's what we've done. Slowly getting my office together so that it's me and it's comfortable.
My thought for the day comes from something I heard Helen say yesterday, when I had her on the phone. I feel like my calling in similar to the calling that Abraham got when God said, “Leave and go.” He didn't give him the details or any direction. He just said, “Go.” So I'm going ahead and moving in the direction that I feel God is calling me to. Today that just might include unpacking more boxes! 

No comments: