Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Busy

Have I ever told you that spiritual direction rocks! OK, let me rephrase that like this: God rocks, and I love it when He gives you a spiritual director who hears Him. So many people are afraid of Spiritual Direction, and it really is sad, because they are missing out on a way that God is moving in us and others. I will use what I went through this morning as an example. I had a Skype spiritual direction appointment set up with Laura today, and really didn't know how this was going to work. I have sat with Laura at her home before but never over the computer. She lives in Lexington, so showing up in person is out of the question until we get that helicopter delivered. I had no idea what I wanted to talk about or what direction we would go, but I was looking forward to hearing from God anyway.

I am not going to go into too much detail, so if you want to know more, you will have to ask. But the gist of it was I am feeling unsettled in my spirit, because I think I should be doing something that I'm not doing. Liken it to a racehorse before a race—ready to go, full of energy, chompin’ at the bit, yet stuck in the chute, waiting, mainly because it's not time yet. What Laura was able to help me see, through scripture and prayer, was that I'm doing what God wants me to be doing. I'm praying, and that's what he wants. I am to seek Him daily and listen to Him and not the people. A sense of peace came over me, and I was able to take a deep breath and be OK with what I'm doing and the direction I am going. 
It has become clear to me that the church has forgotten the importance of praying. We have become more about doing than we are about being and seeking God's will. It's like the difference in Martha and Mary. Not that what Martha was doing was bad; it was needed. It's just that sitting at Jesus’ feet like Mary was the better thing. Seeking the presence of God is what is needed in all churches. But we are too busy doing. We have to have the programs going, the studies happening, the plans planned so we get everything done in an hour on Sunday and the sermon series laid out for at least a year. I am not saying these are bad and that we don't need them in our churches. What I am saying is that we have forgotten what the better thing is—to sit and listen to Jesus and hear what he is saying to us right now. Instead, we are busy doing and wanting God to bless what we come up with. It's backwards, and we can't see that, because we're too busy.

No comments: