Saturday, May 29, 2010

I'm Back!

We made it to Rogers, Arkansas, on Thursday, May 27 at 1:30ish in the afternoon. It was an interesting trip, to say the least. I learned some things along the way and have some unanswered questions that, while they aren't keeping me up at night, are unanswered nonetheless. You learn a lot about yourself while driving with a Siamese cat (in a cat taxi in the passenger seat) that likes to talk and two large dogs that need to stay cool in the back of the truck. One of the things I learned is that they have more control over me than I have over them. They were my first concern every time we stopped. I was always on the lookout for shade, as was every other crazy pet owner traveling with her pet—except for the couple on the motorcycle pulling a small covered trailer with a dog on it. That's how you take your shade with you. 
As we approached the lovely state of Tennessee, I started seeing white feathers smashed into the highway. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what they were. After they started appearing like mile markers, I saw a few on the side of the road that hadn't been flattened. They were chickens! I racked my brain for a reason why they were dead on the side of the road.  Then I saw an empty chicken carrier and remembered that Reelfoot processing plant was somewhere close. These chickens had taken their chances at jumping out of the carrier to start a new life, and it seemed that not all of them made it.
Just north of Union City, Tennessee, I learned that during a crisis, I can't dial a cell phone, drive a truck, yell at my husband (who is driving a U-Haul and pulling a trailer in front of me) and remain calm, all at the same time. This lesson began as I started seeing smoke coming from the car carrier that Alex was pulling. The blowout happened so fast, I still don't understand why Alex couldn't see me flashing my lights with windshield wipers on high, waving my arms wildly, pointing to the side of the road, yelling "Oh my gosh, pull over!" with a cell phone in my hand. I mean, really, why wasn't he watching me?
I knew we were getting back into the south when we were traveling on a four-lane interstate and coming toward us on the other side of the road was a dually John Deer tractor. Another sign of the south is when you see a yellow crop duster flying overhead.
All in all. it was a good trip, and the unpacking of boxes has begun. We had some folks from the church show up to unload us, and that took about an hour and a half. We were blessed with a huge lunch and fruit tray from Karen, a chicken casserole from Michelle, cookies from Ashlee, a pizza gift certificate from Dawn and breakfast ingredients from Karen Anderson, who, by the way, can tell you were you are in Arkansas by the mile markers. The love that has started pouring out on us is blowing my mind and filling my heart. But I also have to say that the love we felt from Pat, Denise, Doris, Johnny, Andrew, Dan, Brian and Robert as they loaded us up was more mind-blowing. Right before we pulled out on Wednesday, Leslie came running down the road to give me a hug, and the tears started to flow. She was the first person to let me in when we came to Wilmore, and the last one I saw before we left. I like to think that my heart was filled while I was in Wilmore so I can pour out, but I think it was God loving me through the people of Wilmore because I needed it. So I want you all to know that we are here at 3903 W. Olive Street and our door is always open to you, as are our hearts. We love you, we miss you, and we are praying for you too. 

No comments: