Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sunrise at the Abbey


Have I ever told you that I used to work for UK? No, not the United Kingdom (although that would be cool) but the University of Kentucky. When we first got here in ‘06, I was all crazy about finding a job, because that's where I got my identity, and we had to eat and pay bills, and I had to do my part and blah, blah, blah. Anyway, we are only 15 miles from Lexington,  maybe 25 from the UK campus, and it takes about an hour to drive that at 7 in the morning. The traffic is crazy, and I truly believe these people I was driving into the city with learned to drive in an empty parking lot at Wal-Mart. Pure-D-Ole Crazy! It's even worse when you add some snow to the ground. It turns into a NASCAR event, and everybody thinks they're Jimmy Johnson! Every morning I would get worked up with this crazy anxiety about driving into Lexington, trying to find a parking place in one of the parking structures, not killing anyone or letting anyone kill me. Stuff like this usually doesn't bother me, but for some reason, every morning for nine months, I freaked out every morning.

Today I woke at 6 a.m., which is strange for me, as I've been doing the 3 a.m. thing for a while. I had to be at my endocrinologist appointment at 8:15, so I thought getting on the road by 7 would be good. I waited for the anxiety to start up in me. I drank a cup of coffee with no yellow stuff (cuz I knew I was going to have to have a blood test). Waited some more. Nothing! I drove all the way into Lexington with six inches of snow on the ground, Wal-Mart student drivers all around, and I was calm! Then I remembered one of the things I came away with from the Abbey—God is working a new thing in me! Even the small things of life that I think I can control, I really don't control—not really.

So today I went to the city, filled up the truck, had lunch with a wonderful daughter of the King, got my meds, and I didn't freak out. Not once! I also didn't work out today, and I'm thinking I should call the vet and have her shoot me, because my leg hurts. I ran four miles yesterday on the mill and maybe I should have done three. 

We leave for God's country (Arkansas) in the morning, and Alex will be meeting with the Board of Ordained Ministry on Thursday, and we will see if we moved forward in the preacher process. "Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and prosper for us the work of our hands. O prosper the work of our hands!" Ps 90:17

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the "new things"! Praise for your awareness and prayers for safe travels.